November 13, 2014

Great Moments In 21st Century Texting

Sometimes I text my mother lyrics from a song and pretend that it is stuff that is actually happening in my life. She fell for one today that was pretty awesome. I had no idea that she'd actually buy it.

Me: Did I tell you what happened on monday?
Mom: No...what happened?
Me: I was just out Monday, ran into a friend down the street where i live
Mom: exciting...
Me: sad things begin, i could feel from within. i could tell from the message he had to give. about a buddy of mine who ran out of time. somebody past knew him shot across the room, and now the man no longer lives. too bad about him. too sad about him.
Mom: Your friend was shot and killed?
Me: Don't get me wrong, the man is gone but it's a wonder he lived this long. but there can't be no fun being shot with a handgun. sad bloody mess. shot all up in his chest.
Mom: that's terrible.
Me: up in the city they called him boss jack. but down home he was an alley cat.
Mom: wait a minute...
Me: hahahahaha
Mom: You dork! I was feeling bad about your friend... you suck.
Me: that was the best one so far. it's a curtis mayfield song called "billy jack".
Mom: yeah, yeah.

---

Also, "Billy Jack" by Curtis Mayfield is one of the grooviest tracks I've ever had the pleasure to hear, and I highly recommend checking it out. First time I ever heard it was a couple years ago when I went to First Avenue in Minneapolis to see Okkervil River in concert. Prior to the show "Billy Jack" came on the sound system and I was so into it I asked the sound guy what the song was. I had two Curtis Mayfield albums already but I hadn't heard that song before or the album it is on, which it turns out is a fantastic album. Here is a link if you want to hear it:

"Billy Jack" – Curtis Mayfield

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive