November 9, 2014

fun physics fact of the day

A light-year is often mistaken for a unit of time, when in fact it is a measure of distance. A light-year is approximately six trillion miles.

---

When I was eighteen years old I was accepted into the University of Iowa as a double major in physics and philosophy. I abandoned my enrollment because, while I met all other criteria, my ACT score was one point shy of the requirement for qualification for a full-ride scholarship open to freshman physics majors. I also was enjoying my job working with kids, reading physics and philosophy books in my free time. Education should be free.

Anyway. One of my soccer teammates is an older gentleman from Germany named Beren. He has a master's degree in physics and is a professor/researcher of nanotechnology. He's also a better soccer player than me, but he's from Germany for God's sakes, so obviously. I also have a dear friend named Stephen who has a PhD in philosophy and who is now getting a master's degree in German Studies at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY. He and Gina are trying to get me to visit but I don't have the means at the moment.

I'm sure that when I die I won't lament the missed opportunities for a college degree, for money unearned, for success unachieved. Love is all that matters. Life, without love, is just a series of meaningless hieroglyphics that aren't even worth translating.

Bought new sheets today. But they're not pink.

---

One of my favorite Third Eye Blind lyrics:

"Nothing much matters to me so I don't see why
I should hold so tightly to a memory that I can't speak of.
I think about it nightly how you opened up your life for me.
Why are you still lonely?
Though I'm not the type who begs,
I'm thinking how you'd open up your legs.
And I'm farther from you every day."

This song has been haunting my weekend:

"Find The River" – R.E.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive