July 29, 2015

I've been having such sorrowful dreams.

Today my dream started out back in the basement of a house that doesn't exist but that is a real place. I was going back to work with the kids I used to work with, and as I was moving my stuff in these other people were getting in my way and starting to take up the space. I moved my bed in and they put a couch in front of it and just laid on the bed and sat on the couch, ignoring me. They were nudging me out and so I had to go wander. I wandered around the fictional corridors of this mansion-sized basement, feeling blue, unwanted and displaced.
Then I remember somehow I was suddenly wandering the streets of Lincoln on a wet gray day. As I was walking, downcast, I came across the first girl I ever had a crush on back in elementary school. Her name was Melanie. I liked her because she was pretty, sweet, shy and goofy. She was grown up in my dream and we flirted a bit, then she let me take her on a walk. She looked down and asked me about my shoes. We were both wearing white shoes but mine were very dirty. She said that she loved wearing white shoes, and I said me too, and then I tried to explain that I normally don't let them get this dirty because I was embarrassed. Then I looked down again and my shoes had turned into my black work shoes.
I asked about her life and she said that she had so much to tell me, with a big excited smile on her face, but that I probably wasn't interested. I told her of course I was interested, and she was happy I was interested. I was having those early feelings you get when you meet somebody new and it feels sweet, swellingly sweet. I had longed for that feeling and that connection. We stopped for coffee at this open shop, and at one of the tables in the shop a bunch of guys that I used to know were sitting around it. I try to avoid eye contact because I just wanted to keep walking with Melanie. But they were staring at me so I gave them a head nod and then Melanie and I left.

I haven't described everything in the dream, but I know what the dream meant.

It was about second chances. Wanting to go back and redo things in my life, do them differently, do them better, etc. Wanting a do-over, wanting to re-connect to life and to being and to being with someone warm and sweet and funny and kind. Wanting to be better at being me.

But it was only a dream.

Like F. Scott Fitzgerald once wrote in an unfinished novel, "There are no second acts in American lives."

Once you dirty your white shoes, there is no going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive