August 1, 2015

I met a bunch of new people at a little get-together tonight at a house on the beach. It was about five women and five or six men. I spent the first part of the evening conversing with the women and the latter part in conversation with the men. Everyone was very pleasant, enjoyable, and for the most part intelligent, but as with any group of people who are drinking they were all moving in and out of their own pockets of intoxication.

One thing that never fails to make me awkward is when guys start complaining about their relationships, or making jokes about the needs of their women. Hopefully this isn't too shocking but yes, ladies, men actually sit around and complain about their relationships. Much more than they appreciate them. Me and four other guys were sitting around a fire with some beers and talking about relationships. They were complaining about how hard it is and how demanding women can be, in that I'm-joking-but-I'm-also-serious kind of way. I didn't say much, I just made those capitulatory noises we all make when we don't want to say anything. And all I could think was, "If I had a strong, opinionated, intelligent, emotional, sweet and funny woman in my life I would brag about her all the time."

S knew that. She knew I was viciously proud of her.

Then again, they're the ones in relationships, and I'm the loser at home alone.

The moon was high and full and very bright tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers