October 26, 2014

So, once in a while I visit this online chat room for depressed people. Typically I go there to listen to people who need an ear and while I'm there I try to make a joke or two. Personally, I find that humor immediately lightens moods and makes people comfortable with talking to you. Tonight, I think, I made a particularly good joke. Someone asked, "Is the glass half full or half empty?"

And I responded, "The glass was kidnapped by Nigerian extremists."

Personally, I think that joke highlighted the ridiculousness of the separatism with which the "depressed hipster self-absorbed community" tries to distinguish itself, and also the horrendous reality of the world we live in where armed hooligans are kidnapping little girls and exploiting them with pretty much zero consequences. Peace talks in Africa choose to whitewash the fact that these young girls are probably being raped on a daily basis by Boko Haram, while negotiations are ongoing.

Boko Haram do not represent Muslim values, and were my life acceptable currency I would gladly (well, begrudgingly) offer it up to every moron involved with Boko Haram or any other terrorist organization in exchange for the untainted lives of the little girls they have kidnapped.

Funny how nature makes mistakes on purpose. Humans aren't that great, evolutionarily speaking.

---

Then of course, you meet those one or two humans who make you feel that all the hard work and all the horror and all the sorrow and all the mistakes are worth it.

Then you meet R and S and you realize life is actually the best thing ever, for a brief moment. And you realize that you would fight all day every day for this planet and all its inhabitants. That there is nothing better than R and S and that they make the planet spin, the stars shine... S makes the tennis shoes come off and then place her bare feet on top of yours. She makes that pure bliss feeling of her feet on top of yours in bed happen. R and S make life so gloriously goofy and fulfilling, that even if you're a writer you can't think of a good ending to your description.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive