March 29, 2014

At least I saw the fire...

As I wandered fruitlessly downtown I did catch glimpses of the fire, a massive burning building quietly and defiantly burning away ash by single red-glowing ash. The ashes glowed and wafted like dying aimless stars. Everyone in the crowd looked at the fire and took video/pictures with their cameras and laughed about the disaster, but I looked at the ashes coming over the roof of the adjacent building like troops meandering across the night field of an infinite battle.

On my way away from the fire I saw a rabbit come out of a bush and hop his way up the handicap ramp of a state building. He stopped midway up the ramp and I walked up next to him, trying to make eye contact. His black eyes noticed me a moment and then he moved on.

It was nice to be noticed. Especially by a creature void of pretense and unequivocally trustworthy.

Each passing phrase I overheard from the alcohol-laden waves of peoples' voices made me question whether or not attempting to document the current human condition is even a worthwhile endeavor. (not to sound as though I presume I would be capable of such an endeavor were the motivation to exist)

I've always been that pessimist I suppose, but there was a short period in my life when I knew someone who connected me to life in a way I'd never known. I guess I have to be appreciative of that, even though it feels a bit like having eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and then being banished from the garden of eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive