December 15, 2014

a weekly recap

My stepdad's father died.

My niece wanted to do another reading project with me, so, given her enjoyment of the movie Interstellar, we're reading the fantastic science fiction novel The Sirens Of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut together.

I assisted the game-winning goal on my soccer team with a perfect cross into the box. I was really proud of myself, momentarily.

I saw the new Chris Rock movie Top Five with my friend Teasha. It was funny. I enjoy the fact that Chris Rock is a huge Woody Allen fan. It's not every day you find a movie that references both 2Pac and Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I bought a ticket to see Damien Rice perform at the Greek Theatre in LA in April.

---

D'Angelo's new album came out today, unannounced, and I only discovered it by chance. It's going to take several listens to analyze. I'm not sure people understand how much I love his Voodoo album. There is a select few albums I can remember where I was and what I was doing when I first heard them, and Voodoo is one of them.

The first time I listened to Voodoo, I was in North Carolina visiting my brother and his family. It was early afternoon and I went into my nephew's nursery to lay down on the floor and nap because I hadn't slept very much that night. The reason I hadn't slept much that night is because I had recently met someone, a woman, whom I had been texting all night. My family was in the other room watching some terrible movie and I laid on the floor and listened to Voodoo. I remember that weekend quite vividly. It was the first time my niece had seen the ocean. And I was texting this woman all weekend, dodging questions from my family about who I was texting, cause I didn't want to jinx or spoil it. Sigh. Somewhere along the line I guess I did anyway. But with every flash of my phone I smiled that weekend.

I miss her. That friend that gets everything and listens and who speaks words more beautiful than flowers in bloom. I miss her silky, sure voice lapping on my eardrums. The things she used to say stirred my blood like I've never known before or since. I miss her so badly I make a fool of myself too often. It's a true shame when someone says everything you've ever wanted to hear and it turns out to be meaningless words. I mean, if they were meaningless, why did they have to seem so right?

---


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers