April 1, 2014

a thought i have had

A few weeks ago one of the supervisors in my department asked me about the suicide clause that is a part of most life insurance policies. A typical life insurance policy excludes payout if the insured commits suicide within the first 2 years of the policy. I explained that a suicide clause is designed to prevent people who are already planning to commit suicide from being able to purchase a policy and provide a death benefit for their beneficiaries in the process. This was all new information to my supervisor, who has never worked in insurance before. She was a bit shocked at the idea, a tad naively surprised that such a clause would be necessary in an insurance contract.

She said to me, "I would never have thought of that. I guess suicidal people think differently from you and me."

When she said that, I stopped in my tracks ever so slightly. The only response I could muster was an awkward smile and I kept on walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive