October 28, 2015

The End

The time has come. This is the final post. Dinosaur With Headphones is done.

I had hoped for my penultimate post to be the short story "Mosquitos" but I haven't finished it yet. It's proving quite difficult to reflect on and write about the special moments in my memory regarding S that that story explores. I might give up writing for good or for a while at least.

Today is R's tenth birthday and it's the right time to quit. I was driving home from work, the song "Old Old Woodstock" by Van Morrison, from the Tupelo Honey album, came on. He sings about children and cool breezes and holding the ones you love. It brought to my mind memories of being with S and R in the park, smiling laughing and happy and silly. I felt for the briefest of moments the joy I received when I first met R in the park and goofed around with her. I recalled pushing her in the swing and I recalled holding S's hand, caressing her beautiful fingers like they were autumn leaves.

The last time I saw R was over five years ago now. All I saw was the back of her head. I heard her voice and it hit me like brilliant music. But I only saw the back of her head. And the look S gave me was maybe the worst most crushing look I've ever seen. She flipped me with her eyes and I ran away.

Everything so small is so big to me. I was happy for a second today, thinking about S and R being happy and celebrating and having a good birthday.

I scored a goal yesterday and right after I scored I thought about R, laughing and smiling and I dedicated it to her. I wish them both happiness and full hearts for life.

There are a million different songs I could end this blog with but this is the song that it should end on:

Song for the ending

Love always,

just another ex

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive