June 13, 2015

my own cliché and archetype

You know what sucks? S used to be the one I could talk to about anything at anytime, and here it is past 11:00 pm and I have no one in my Rolodex willing to talk to me. I was rewatching the film Cast Away and realized that there is a profound connection between the archetypal and the clichéd. Writers such as Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell wrote about the archetypes in human mythology, but I didn't realize how clichéd they could be. And I was thinking how incredibly difficult (nearly impossible) it is to create a new archetype. Works of art like Buffy The Vampire Slayer haven't destroyed any archetypes but they have destroyed clichés.

I wish I could articulate what I'm thinking and wondering but it takes two people to flesh out a conversation.

... Long-winded way of saying, yet again, I miss S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive