June 3, 2015

Great Moments In 20th Century Music

"Troy (live)" – Sinéad O'Connor

For various reasons I was thinking heavily about Irish music today. I realized that Damien Rice is a male version of Sinéad O'Connor. Both of them being Irish musicians, they owe a great deal to Van Morrison, and neither would argue with that. I just never noticed the influence of Sinéad on Damien until today. They both have a ferocious, attacking approach to the guitar and to lyrics.

Another reason "Troy" is brilliant is that it references Irish poet W.B. Yeats's poem "No Second Troy" which is based on the ancient texts of Homer, one of the oldest poets known to mankind.

---

I stared at S's photo all day. I miss her. My body and my soul aches for her. She is so beautiful. She could start wars (like Helen of Troy). And myself, like the ancient fools of old, should be content that her eyes once stooped to gaze upon me for a brief moment. But there is little consolation in realizing one's own insignificance. I'd rather have her smile kiss me one more time, and after that I could exit life unbegrudgingly. If her lips were coated with poison and they kissed me into death I could die content. Instead, I am what I aaaaaaaaaam.

I miss my woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive