August 10, 2014

I finished reading Dave Eggers's latest book. His angst remains as the book is basically an interrogation about how abysmally disconnected all us cohabitants of earth are. It's about a mentally disturbed guy named Thomas (doubting?) who kidnaps and questions multiple people who have impacted his life, some he sympathizes with and some he despises, apparently in search of some kind of coherence. Basically he tries to wade through the chaos (disappointment) of his life to find some meaning amidst all the failure. He meets a woman named Sara (Bob Dylan has a beautiful song named "Sara" about his ex-wife and it involves the beach) on the beach near the abandoned barracks where he keeps his kidnapped persons and convinces himself that the purpose of all his actions was to lead him to this woman.

---

Thomas: "Sara, I just want to get something I want. I don't think I've ever gotten any significant thing I wanted. You have no idea how weird it is to envision things and have them come to nothing. No vision has ever come true, no promise has ever been kept. But then there was you, and you were the promise that would obliterate all the disappointments of the past. Everything about you insisted on it. Your color, your hair, the way light projects from every part of you. You were the sun that would burn away all the putrid broken promises of the world."

Sara: "I wasn't that."

Thomas: "I know that now."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive