August 30, 2014

Great Moments In 21st Century History

I just watched the documentary After Tiller, which focuses on the issue of late-term abortions in the United States after the assassination of George Tiller, who was one of only five doctors in the nation to perform such procedures. The documentary starts off with a patient from Lincoln, Nebraska (my hometown) who traveled to Bellevue, Nebraska (a town about an hour away from Lincoln) to undergo the procedure.

It can really be quite disgusting in this country to see pretty quickly a bunch of elderly men sitting around discussing women's rights. Dr. Susan Robinson delivered an eloquent speech: "Women come here having decided that this is not a pregnancy that they can or want to sustain. And where does it come from that I get to say, 'Oh yeah? Well why? Why do you want to have an abortion? You explain to me. Justify it to me.' Why is that fair? What if you're just not a good storyteller? Why would it be okay for me to say, 'No, you've got to tell me a better story than that.' Because what I believe is that women are able to struggle with complex ethical issues and arrive at the right decision for themselves and their families. They are the world's experts on their own lives."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive