July 23, 2014

Finished reading The End Of The Affair. That book kind of kicked my ass. The main character, a writer, has an affair with a woman who claims to love him more than anything in the world but ultimately can't leave her husband. They appear to be madly in love. One day, she stops speaking to him without explanation. He falls into a despair, an angry bitter despair, no longer caring about writing or anything else. The book has many haunting scenes where realities are questioned, regrets are pondered, uncomforting truths are spread out peacefully to die like snow in a vacant field. Yada yada yada. And so on and so on.

"Insecurity is the worst sense that lovers feel: sometimes the most humdrum desireless marriage seems better. Insecurity twists meanings and poisons trust."

"I drew my mind together, and I thought, Now that everything is really over, I have got to begin again. I have fallen in love once: it can be done again. But I was unconvinced: it seemed to me that I had given all the sex I had away."

---

I also saw the film Boyhood the other day, the film Richard Linklater shot over the course of twelve years, using all the same actors so that you see them age throughout the film. It was pretty.

---

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers