June 18, 2014

Great Moments In 20th Century Television

I was sitting in a bar watching a World Cup match, overhearing California college boys analyze the sport. It reminded me of an episode of Friends, a show I haven't watched in ages and one that I now avoid for certain reasons. There was an episode where Phoebe was taking a literature class, and Rachel joined her. When Rachel read Vogue magazine instead of Jane Eyre she asked Phoebe for a synopsis. Phoebe fed her false information then baited the teacher into asking Rachel's opinion.

Rachel: "Well what struck me most about Jane Eyre was uh, how the book was so ahead of its time."

Teacher: "If you're talking about feminism, I think you're right."

Rachel: "Yeah well, feminism yes. But also the robots."

---

That was one of their best episodes, that one.

Ross has a breakdown over someone taking his sandwich, a leftover turkey sandwich that he says was the only good thing going for him. Reminds me of myself and the chicken salad. Funny how those distant thoughts came crashing into my brain like meteorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive