May 26, 2014

what they call "eventful"

Spent a couple hours at the park, alternating between reading and kicking the soccer ball around. Today mostly listened to Amos Lee and then Okkervil River. Hooked on O.R.'s "Where The Spirit Left Us". I drove down the cliffside to walk in the ocean at La Jolla beach, but it was far too crowded. While driving down the road I saw a homeless man with his pants down squatting over a gutter. He began pulling his pants up as I passed by. I can only assume that he was defecating.

On any normal day, a homeless man defecating into a sewer opening would be the strangest sight that one would see. But today took a turn for the not normal quickly. Since La Jolla was too crowded I decided to visit the beach at Torrey Pines. Torrey Pines is the area directly north of the Salk Institute, which you may (probably not) recall is my favorite place in San Diego. Torrey Pines is a park on a cliff where para-gliders and hang-gliders launch from. There's a steep dirt staircase cut into the cliff that leads down to a beach. The beach is known as Black's Beach, and I had never been there. I descended the steps, and once I reached the sand I was greeted by a naked man in a baseball cap. At first I thought he was a confused elderly man. But after seeing several men walking naked across the sand, penises dangling, I quickly realized that it must be a beach where clothing is optional. As difficult as the descent was, I can't say it didn't make sense. But most people were clothed and I wasn't about to walk straight back up the steep stairs, so I took off my shoes and socks (and my shoes and socks only!) and went for a stroll in the waves. According to Wikipedia, "Black's Beach is the largest nudist beach in the United States". I had no idea. Really only about 17% of the population was nude.

Anyway, nudity doesn't bother me. Unless it's myself.

Strange day. The whole time all I could think was, "She would be laughing so hard if I could tell this story to her myself." I could come home and when she asked, "How was your day?" I could respond, "It was good. I practiced soccer, saw a homeless man pooping into the sewer, and then I unwittingly stumbled upon the largest nude beach in all of the United States." If that didn't make her smile, then I don't know what would.

"Spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling,
spent a lot of time talking to walls.
Spent a lot of time chasing that old time feeling,
spent a lot of time waiting on your call."

"Only wary in our lives
open-eyed and half-ashamed, it's just that way.
Float down that river, freezing, tired, fully-wired, a total waste.
That's where the spirit left us.
Only wary in our lives
your eyes all fire, your mind aflame, don't be dismayed.
When this sobbing world goes screaming by, I swear that if I had my way,
you know I would have blessed it."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive