May 6, 2013

The Great Divide by Leonard Cohen

"I never liked the way you loved
So devious, so dated
But still I fasted like a monk
And prayed to see you naked

I'd see you hurting everyone
A government of suffering
I'd tell myself 'Thy Will Be Done
My will it counts for nothing'

I drank a lot I lost my job
I lived like nothing mattered
And you, you never came across
You never even answered

It was a blind and broken time
And kindness was forbidden
I guess I tried to hitch a ride
From acid to religion

But every guiding light was gone
And every good direction
The book of love I read was wrong
It had a happy ending

But when the system had been shocked
Beyond all recognition
The simple things that I'd forgot
Resumed their sweet position

I thought I saw you with a child
I thought I heard you weeping
And all the garden round you wild
And safely in your keeping

I don't recall what happened next
I kept you at a distance
But tangled in the knot of sex
My punishment was lifted

Your remedies beneath my hand
Your fingers in my hair
The kisses on our lips began
That ended everywhere

And when I gathered up to leave
You drew me to your side
To be as Adam was to Eve
Before the Great Divide"

---

And that's only half the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive